Friday, October 1, 2010

In a Handbasket

Good intentions and all have not done squat to keep up with my desire to post on this blog .

So to attempt to make it up to you I'm going to do a major post with pics and/or descriptions of things that I've actually completed since the last time I posted.

Ok, here goes:

A wallhanging for a good friend.  I won't mention how long it took me to sew the binding on.  You would think that close to being done that I would have just knocked it out, but NOOoooo ... I take procrastination to a whole new level :)

So here it is finished in all it's glory:
 My friend loves chihuahua's and lost two of hers this year.  I had started this after I'd made a trip to visit her and thought it would be a fun machine applique project.  I quilted this on my machine at about 1/2" intervals.

 I figured with a dog quilt you HAD to have dog bones on the back and for the binding :)
Yes, I know I need to work on my labeling to make it more elegant, but this is very heartfelt and all that really matters :)

Let's see next on the finished list:

A monster I made as a custom request for another friend.  Here is the stylish M'Lou modeling it.
This is what happens when you ask a 2 year old to "Hold up the monster so Mommy can take a picture."

And then you get a more accurate interpretation and help :)

Here is the back with it's cape.  Sorry it's fuzzy, this is why I need remedial photo instruction and a photo setup!

I was also commissioned to help a friend with a dress for her daughter's 1 year birthday party.  It's not until closer to the end of the year, but we're hoping this still fits her by then :)  Miss Cat is going to be a very tall girl!

I made up this pattern using the Amy Butler fabric as inspiration and a shirt that fits Miss Cat as a template for the top.  The black lace at the bottom was her mom's inspired idea!

We played with the ribbons trying to decide how to secure them in the back and hold the dress up as the original design was a halter dress that needed some gathering that was beyond my skills as a seamstress :)  We ended up going with snaps and having them criss-cross in the back so we can move them as she gets bigger.

To round out this post, I thought I would post the two big WIPs (works-in-progress) that I have on my plate.

First, the Tokyo Subway quilt that I posted about on my FB page.  It's a quilt-along with Oh, Fransson! and if you haven't found her site and love to quilt, you SHOULD head over.  Here's the link to the Subway quilt:  Link.

Here is the start on cutting out all the squares.  I have a LONG way to go and probably more fabric that I have to purchase ... no, really, I need more fabric for this quilt.

You probably can't read it, but the smallest number of patterned fabric squares I have to cut is 29.  The most is 87.  And have I mentioned that cutting up the pieces for quilting is one of the things I hate most about quilting?!?!?

Next on my list of major WIPs is the quilt for my sister.  I'm closing in on it slowly.  Right now, I've finished hand quilting all the diagonals.  I'm now working on quilting around designs in the fairy blocks and then going to work on the border.  I'm hoping to be done with at least two sections of fairys by next week.  I'm really determined to have this done before we see them towards the end of the month.  I may still be sewing the binding on when we get to Colorado, but by God it's going with us and I'm handing it over!!!!! :)

Here's the overall design.  I've done all the diagonals and finished with quilting 3 of 12 fairy blocks of one section.

Here's a closer view of my quilting.  I'm pretty consistent at about 6 stitches/inch.  I'm actually proud that I'm consistent :)

Okay, well time to get another shirt posted to my Etsy site and then to some crafting and quality time with M'Lou!


No comments:

Post a Comment